Then the troops moved in at an alarming rate. Who am I talking about? The bugs. The first sign was from my husband. We were admiring all the plants and he turns a leaf over and sees some little bugs. I said, "What's that!" And he said, "Nothing to worry about I guess." I knew what he was doing! He was trying to make it seem like no big deal. No big deal, just some thieves trying to ruin OUR harvest, not theirs! They didn't grow seeds in the basement just to watch them die! They didn't drive over to Lowe's feeling like a failure to buy these plants- no, no they didn't. I DID! These little bugs, which I decided were aphids, weren't going to stick around.
We went to sleep that night, my panicking, my husband acting like it's not a big deal. Images flashed back to my time in the greenhouse- aphids flying around plants, then the spider mites
came, then there was no growth, no flowers, nothing. I dreamt of bugs taking over, moving into our house, this was war.
Through research, I learned ladybugs were a strong defense. So, I wanted them. I almost ordered 4,500 of them. Then I chilled out and decided 1,500 was the best bet. I ordered them. And waited.. and waited. No ladybugs. I called, "Where are my troops, please call me back." No such luck. Well, I found another website and ordered another 1,500. I waited, I got an invoice that said they'd be here soon. I waited some more. No ladybugs. I can't win this war alone!
I'll never know what happened to those ladybugs... Who knows what happened to my orders? I haven't heard still. Head's up- don't order ladybugs from the internet.
I then remembered, the garden store from school! So I went over and bought my 1,500
ladybugs and felt stupid, again, because I forgot I could actually purchase them from a store, rather than the world wide web.
That night, the ladybugs were released. We took pictures, checked on them a few times, then went to bed feeling secure and safe. My help was here.
Got up in the morning, they were hanging out, but in all the wrong places. On the gate surrounding the garden, on the wood, on the basil (there's no bugs there! move on!)... but okay, I'll give them the benefit of the doubt. I went to work, they'll do their job.
Then I got home and noticed two things immediately. 1- no more aphids! 2- there were only 3 ladybugs still there. 3. Out of 1,500, 3 stuck around. I guess they ate and moved on to join the other ladybugs I never met. Okay, cool. Thanks for the work, see you guys.. never again. That was last week, today I went in the garden to look for the 3. I found 1. Awesome. Where was it? On the basil.

No comments:
Post a Comment